Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New Transitions.

Next week starts internship for the year. For my undergrad field placement, I'll be at a drug and alcohol referral center that utilizes brief motivational interviewing as their type of therapy, and has a wide variety of services they offer, and groups they provide. I think I've changed my mind about a million times about what area of social work I'd like to go into. There's just so much to choose from, which is what appeals to me the most about the profession. In a way, I'd like to experience all areas of social work, because I think it's great and beneficial to experience everything at least once in order to get a better understanding...because in one way or another, every area affects the other in some way. I decided I want to try the substance abuse area, because it's something I've always been interested in learning about. I do sometimes worry that I won't be amazing in that area though. I sometimes worry it won't be for me. Ultimately, I'd love to be a medical social worker. I'll worry about that in my grad school placement though! One thing I do know for sure is is that I need to stop making such strict plans for a future that hasn't even happened yet :)

I'm incredibly nervous about my first day of internship. Nervous and excited. Anxious because I don't know what to expect. Excited because it's like stepping into reality which stemmed from a simple dream. Will I be good enough? Will I know enough? Will people/clients take me seriously enough? Will I remember everything so I can write my process recordings? What WILL I actually do?

My first day on Monday I'll be at an annual golf fundraising event which seeks to raise money in order to benefit my agency and the services they provide. I don't know anyone, only met my supervisor once for my interview, and things sound like they'll be hectic! It'll be cool to be able to see social work at the macro level though, and be able to learn about the agency in this type of way.

I guess you could say "nervous" is an understatement. We'll see how it goes. All I know is are supervisors ALWAYS this busy?!! ::sigh::

No comments:

Post a Comment