Saturday, September 17, 2011

Catastrophic Thinking.

"Catastrophic thinking is ruminating about irrational worst-case outcomes."

The above is something that I can truly identify with in all aspects of my personal life, but especially right now as it relates to my future as an intern, and my future as a potential social worker. I always think of the worst case scenario in terms of  everything. This coming week is the big week. The start of my first undergrad internship for the year. It's like a big test, and it's a pretty serious one at that. 
With anything new that we're trying out for the first time for ourselves, I think it's normal for anyone to question certain things like "am I going to be good enough, will I accomplish what I set out to, and will I know my stuff." I think those relate even more so to a student/intern social worker. 


I don't think it's just the student/intern social workers that question this though. I also think it's probably a good handful of social workers with even years under their belts. With this type of work we're doing, we're so busy evaluating and assessing clients, but it's also imperative we assess ourselves and develop and deepen our own sense of self-awareness. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm sure everyone has doubts about their ability to be a social worker sometimes...but I know in my heart it's something that I'm meant to do...and with that, I hope it does eventually become a natural thing with practice. 


With all these new fears and anxieties I have about the upcoming week and year and so on and so forth, I need to remind myself that nothing in life worth having comes easily. No one ever said it would be easy. I need to remind myself that I know enough and feel enough empathy alone to automatically lend me a helping hand on my journey towards helping others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment