Sunday, September 25, 2011

Exposure Therapy.

“Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow.”

Well, not much has happened internship-wise. Last week was my first week, and we haven't been able to get to any actual social work yet. Monday was the golf fundraiser to raise money for the agency and the programs and services they provide, and Wednesday was moving day. After 50-something years, the office is finally moving to a much bigger one as their services continue to grow. Wednesday was a pretty nontraditional start for my first week of internship. For the day, myself, my supervisor, other interns, and staff unloaded trucks with furniture, cleaned, and organized. 
I didn't mind at all. It gave me some time to get to meet the other interns. I am looking forward to tomorrow though, we're we'll actually be working on things. 

It's interesting meeting the other interns. Interesting, yet intimidating. Everyone seems to be on their best behavior, everyone is dressed to impress, everyone is polite, and eager, and everyone seems to be kissing up to someone! That's how it always works though. Whenever there's new people in a group there's bound to be competition of some sort. Especially on my part. I'm horribly competitive to a fault! It's the perfectionist attitude in me. My supervisor was asking us questions about diagnoses in the DSM and the 5 axis, and the intern got the answer before me. I'm so hard on myself, I kept saying in my head "I should know this stuff...I know it, how'd I forget it"? 
One thing I do know for sure is that I need to go clothes shopping. Every intern has perfect fashionable outfits and accessories. I, on the other hand, lack fashion-anything. 


My thing is I need to stop being so serious. If I'm taking things TOO seriously, I can't learn properly, and that's not good. 


I'll be anxious to see what happens tomorrow. I do know eventually I'll be in charge of my own group and meet with clients to do intake assessments. The groups sound interesting. They have Eating Disorder support groups, Anger Management, Relapse Prevention, and Buddy mentoring programs for children of incarcerated mothers. 


Wish me luck this week!

1 comment:

  1. hope this week is going well so far!!! Don't be so hard on yourself! :)
    Social Work Couture

    ReplyDelete